If you’re attempting to connect your Cam for the first time or you’re connecting to a new WiFi connection, your Cam needs to be in pairing mode. Pairing mode is indicated by an alternating red and blue status light below the Cam lens. Follow this article’s steps to place your Cam into pairing mode if it isn’t entering pairing mode automatically.
Try these quick tips first
- Switch your phone to light mode temporarily if you’re using dark mode. The QR Code you’re receiving during a first-time Cam setup is now much brighter and easier for your new Cam to scan.
- Ensure you update your Cam by pressing the orange Cam update available bar on the app’s main Cam view page. If the app itself needs to be updated, you are prompted on the main screen.
Check for updates
We recommend you obtain the best service and security from your Cam by keeping your firmware updated.
Place your Cam in pairing mode
To place your Cam in pairing mode:
- Press and hold the button on the back of the Cam, located just below the perforated vent.
- Hold the button until you see your Cam’s status light begin blinking in alternating red and blue (about 3 seconds).
- Listen for the auditory confirmation phrase, “Ready to pair” and release the button immediately upon hearing the spoken confirmation.
Your Cam is now in pairing mode.
ImportantIf your Cam is not entering pairing mode and you’ve performed these steps several times, please perform a factory reset of your Cam using the instructions in this article.
Factory reset your Cam
To factory reset your Cam:
- Press and hold the button on the back of your Cam for 15+ seconds until the status light turns off and you hear the response, “Resetting, please wait.”
- Release the button once you hear the spoken confirmation.
Your Cam is now in pairing mode and alternating red and blue light lights.
NOTE: Hold down the button for up to 60 seconds if the 15-second button hold is not initiating the factory reset process.
If the Cam does not initiate a factory reset with a long button hold, take these steps:
- Unplug your Cam from the power supply for 30 seconds.
- Plug your Cam back into the power supply.
Do you see a red light now?
- This indicates your Cam is powering up.
- This is followed by red and blue alternating lights, indicating your Cam is now in pairing mode.
When to use pairing mode vs. factory reset
Pairing mode (a 3-second button press)
Use this to:
- Connect to a new WiFi connection
- Update your WiFi password for an existing WiFi network connection.
- Add a new WiFi connection. For example, use pairing mode while visiting family members to connect your Cam to their WiFi network.
Note: Don’t worry, your Cam won’t forget your home WiFi. Your Cam remembers the last 5 WiFi networks with which it connects. If your home is one of the 5 most recent WiFi network addresses, your Cam automatically reconnects to your home WiFi once you return and the Cam is powered on.
Use this to:
- Forget previous WiFi connections.
- Force your Cam to enter pairing mode. (Completing a factory reset places your Cam into pairing mode.)
What does my Cam light status mean?
Your app displays an orange update bar on the app’s main Cam view page, prompting you to update your Cam firmware if needed. Tap the bar to update your Cam firmware to the latest version.
Check out these related, helpful articles:
Owlet Cam QR Code not Scanning
Did this article help you solve your Cam’s pairing mode issue? Please give us a rating below.