A WiFi connection is essential for your Cam to stream the video of your little one to the Owlet app on your phone. This article covers basic information for:
- Setting up WiFi
- Changing WiFi networks
- Troubleshooting WiFi
Fix your WiFi issues with our self-service app!
Diagnose and troubleshoot your WiFi with the help of our support partner RouteThis Helps. Check out the WiFi Cam Self Help Tool, to find out more about how the RouteThis app can help fix problems with WiFi, setup, and video quality.
Note: Available only in the US and Canada.
Setting up your WiFi for the first time
To set up your Cam for the first time:
- Navigate to your account in the Owlet app.
- Select Add device.
- Follow the prompts to complete the setup:
- When pairing your Cam with the Owlet app, the app prompts you for your network name and password. This information is securely transformed into a usable QR code.
- Show the QR code on your phone screen to the Cam's lens.
Your Owlet Cam connects to your home WiFi.
Changing your Cam WiFi connection
To connect to other WiFi networks (while visiting family, for example) use the app to change your network assignment. Your Cam remembers up to the 5 most recent WiFi connections you've made. Your Cam automatically reconnects to the appropriate WiFi of these 5 as it recognizes your location.
To connect the Cam to a new or additional WiFi network:
- Navigate to the home screen in your Owlet app.
- Tap the gear icon.
- Select WiFi from the Owlet Cam Settings menu and follow the prompts.
Connection and safety tips
- Ensure your router settings allow for devices hosted on your WiFi network to communicate with each other.
- Ensure your router is located in an area where it provides an adequate signal to your Cam for the best quality streaming results.
- Ensure your WiFi network provides an upload and download speed of 2 Mbps or more for the Owlet Cam. If you're not sure whether your network meets this minimum, use Speedtest.net, a popular service, to check your speed. Contact your ISP for assistance with speed issues.
- Connect your Cam only to secure, trustworthy WiFi networks to protect the privacy and security of your family.
Help with errors
If you're receiving an error code during Cam setup, don’t worry.
See our Cam Error Codes article for help with other Cam error codes.