What's in the box?
- Adjustable Side Panels
- Charging Station
- Power Adapter
How does the Owlet Band work?
Passive, ultra-thin sensors track bioelectrical signals inside the womb. These signals are sent to the Medallion where they are interpreted by state-of-the-art algorithms. The Medallion sends this information to the Owlet Pregnancy App via Bluetooth. A strong Bluetooth connection and WiFi connection ensures that the app receives all collected data and displays that data accurately to the user.
How to set up and use the Owlet Band
- The Owlet Band requires access to an iOS device with the Owlet Pregnancy App downloaded, the iOS device must be iPhone 6s or newer; minimum OS versions apply, see App Store for details
- A wireless internet connection is required while setting up your Owlet Band
- Must be 24+ weeks pregnant to use the product
- Intended for use by mothers pregnant with a single baby, does not accommodate twins or multiples
- The Owlet Band is intended for use while sleeping
To set up the Owlet Band
- Download the Owlet Pregnancy App, available only for iOS
If you have an existing Owlet account you can use those credentials to log in.
2. Create an account
Follow the in-app instructions to create an account.
3. Set up a device
Follow the in-app instructions to pair your Medallion with your account. To set up your device you must enable Bluetooth and have a wireless internet connection. After the Medallion is set up it will need to be updated. Medallion updates can take up to 10 minutes, during the update do not take your Medallion off of the charging station or force quit the app.
4. Create a pregnancy profile
Follow the in-app instructions to create a pregnancy profile. A pregnancy profile is required for product usage.
How to place the Owlet Band
- Measure your belly circumference. This is done by measuring the widest area of your belly keeping the measuring tape parallel to the floor.
2. Your Owlet Band comes with three size panels: XS-M, M-XL, 2XL-3XL. Size can be found on the side of each panel. When worn correctly the logo and size indicator will face inward.
3. To find the correct size, refer to the sizing guide below. If you are in-between sizes you can wear differing hook positions on either side of the panel (for example, size x-small on the right side and size small on the left side).
4. Connect either side of the panel to your Band.
5. Place the Band on your belly and connect the other side. The gold colored sensors should be directly on your skin.
6. Check Fit
The Band should fit snugly against your skin with all sensors laying flat.
The Band should be positioned so that your belly button is just below the Medallion.
Ensuring Proper Placement and Fit
The Band should fit snugly against your skin with all sensors laying flat. Direct skin contact is key to high-quality readings.
Wear the Band as low as possible
Your belly button should be located just below the Medallion.
Make sure the bottom edge of the Band does not roll under
This can cause the lowest sensor to lose direct skin contact.
Avoid wrinkled or folded sensors
You may experience some wrinkles near the Medallion but ensure that the sensors are flat against the skin.
Check for a gap between the Band and your skin
As you sleep, the Band may shift positions. Before bed try to make sure there's no gap on the side of your belly facing up.
Pay attention to the “ground” sensor
The ground sensor is the most important sensor. For our algorithm to work properly the Band requires good skin contact from this sensor. The ground sensor is near the bottom third of the Band, slightly off to the left side; it is the only sensor without a matching sensor on the opposite side.
Starting a Session
- Remove the Medallion from the charging station and place it in the Band
- Put the Band on
- Start a session in the app
- Go to sleep (3+ hours for best results)
- Wake up and press “end session” in the app to view your session report
This loading screen appears while data transfers from the Medallion to the app. Keep the phone within a good Bluetooth range of the Medallion (less than 10 feet is recommended).
Your session report header indicates the baby’s wellbeing. Headers include:
- Baby’s Heartbeat Looks Good
- Heartbeat Insight
- Incomplete Session
- Low Quality Readings
1. Baby's Heartbeat Looks Good
This header appears when your baby’s heartbeat stayed within a good range. Click on “listen” to hear audio of your baby’s heartbeat.
Below are examples of the graphs included in this report and information on interpreting the graphs.
2. Heartbeat Insights
If your baby’s heartbeat was higher than 160 BPM or lower than 110 BPM for 20+ minutes during your session you will receive a heartbeat insight.
What should you do?
Heartbeat observed was outside of the normal range. We suggest counting kicks as it is the recommended standard in tracking your baby. You should feel 10 kicks in 2 hours.
If you notice any changes or feel uneasy, we recommend reaching out to your physician.
3. Low Quality Readings
In this case, the Band was unable to generate a report of baby and mom’s readings due to a variety of reasons. Click here to learn more.
4. Incomplete Session
The Band requires a minimum time requirement of 20 minutes in order to determine if your baby’s heartbeat looks good. If the session is less than 20 minutes you will receive an incomplete session. This session report does include the limited data the Band collected.
The History tab in the app displays a list of all completed sessions. Pull down on the list to refresh data, or close and re-open the app.
The Owlet Band Medallion communicates different states with the following colored lights:
Not in Band or charging Station
When your Medallion is not in a Band or Charging Station it will flash white.
When your Medallion is connected to a Charging Station and is charging, the light will pulse white.
When your Medallion is connected to a Charging Station and is fully charged, the light will be solid white.
Medallion in Band (collecting readings)
When you connect your Medallion to a Band and it’s ready to collect readings, the light will flash green. Once a session is started the light will turn off so that it does not disturb you while sleeping. You can double-tap the Medallion to check its status at any time. The green light should reappear, indicating it is still collecting readings.
Medallion Firmware Error
If your Medallion encounters an error it will light up orange. Usually, an error with the Medallion can be corrected by connecting it to the Charging Station. If you continue to see an orange light, you can reset your Medallion by holding the reset button until you no longer see any lights on the Medallion. (The orange light will turn off then will return to white to indicate it is charging.)
*The Medallion must be connected to the Charging Station when you hold down the reset button.
Charging the Medallion
The Medallion takes approximately 1 hour to achieve a full charge and should last approximately 7 hours. If the battery dies during the session all of the data collected by the Medallion will be sent to the phone once the Medallion is powered up and within Bluetooth range of the phone (less than 10 feet is recommended).
Whenever the Medallion is not being used for a session we recommend keeping it on the Charging Station as it will slowly lose battery life.
Band Care and Storage
How to Wash the Band
Recommended to wash once every 3 weeks or as needed
- Remove your Medallion from the Band. If your Medallion is connected to your Band, remove it before you begin washing your Band.
- Do not submerge the Medallion dock in water. The Medallion dock should be able to handle splashes of water from washing the Band, but do not completely submerge it in water.
- Gently hand wash your Band using warm water and mild detergent. Use your fingers to gently scrub the Band, avoiding sensors and the Medallion Station.
- Make sure to rinse your Band well enough so that all the detergent is removed.
- Lay flat to dry. Wait until the Band is completely dry before continuing use.
How to Store the Band
Store in a climate-controlled environment. Recharge the battery to prevent completely losing charge. Lay the sensors flat to prevent cracking.
Help and Support Center
In the app go to Account > Help and Support to contact our customer service team via in-app chat, email, and phone, or go to http://support.owletcare.com/. For more tips and tricks view the educational articles on the home tab in the app.
Warning and Important Safety Information
WARNING: The Owlet Band is not a medical device. It is not intended for use as a medical device or to replace a medical device. It does not and is not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, alleviate, or prevent any disease or health condition or investigate, replace, or modify anatomy or any physiological process.
The Owlet Band is meant for healthy, pregnant women who are at least 24 weeks pregnant. It is not intended for use with high-risk pregnancies.
- Do not use the Owlet Band as a diagnostic tool.
- Do not use the Owlet Band if your medical professional recommends the use of a medical device.
- Do not use the Owlet Band as an excuse for unsafe pregnancy habits.
- Do not use the Owlet Band as a replacement for or in lieu of medical care.
THE OWLET Band IS AN AID. IT IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR MEDICAL SUPERVISION.
Remember: This product is only intended to assist you in tracking your wellbeing during your pregnancy and is not intended to replace you as a caregiver. You are responsible for your own and your baby's health and wellbeing and following safe pregnancy practices, health, and care guidelines.
Owlet proudly stands behind its products. Our warranties are found at: https://owletcare.com/pages/terms.
Terms and Conditions
The use of Owlet’s products is subject to the terms and conditions found at: https://owletcare.com/pages/terms.
By using an Owlet product, you agree to those terms. For contact information specific to your region, please visit https://support.owletcare.com
Your safety and the safety of others are very important to us. There are many important safety messages in this manual and in the Owlet Baby Care App. Always read and obey all safety messages.
Medallion Model #: OBB 1.0
Changes or modifications to this unit not expressly approved by the party responsible for compliance could void the user’s authority to operate this equipment. Please ONLY use the supplied power adapter. Failure to do so may void our limited warranty. This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, may cause interference harmful to radio communications.
IC : 21386-OBB1A This device complies with Industry Canada license-exempt RSS standard(s). Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) this device may not cause interferences, and (2) this device must accept interferences, including interferences that may cause undesired operation of the device.
CAN ICES-3 (B)/NMB-3(B)
Conforms to UL 62368-1 and CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 62368-1
Input: 100-240V ~ 0.2A 50-60Hz